Friday, January 14, 2011

My new job

A few of you noticed the mention of me getting a job a few posts again and inquired as to what I will be doing. Now try not to laugh too hard when I tell you....

I'm going to be a daycare attendant in my gym. (At least that's the official "title" on my paperwork.)

For those of you who know of my "dis-love" I will call it for other people's kids are probably rolling on the floor laughing right now. And I understand your confusion. Trust me I really do. But let me assure you that I have thought this through fully and discussed it with some of my soon-to-be fellow employees and they assure me it is wonderful.

You see...my gym has a daycare where you can drop off your kids while working out. (You do have to pay for this privilege, but it's not too expensive.) They has all sorts of toys and baby swings and bouncy chairs and a pack 'n play and movies....Disney movies, but this is only downstairs. Upstairs (for the kids 3 and up during certain peak hours) they have a air hockey table, big kids toys and a crawl around thing (think mini version of McD's playland) My kids love going to the gym. I love having 2 hours (though I normally only use 1 1/2) to relax and know my children are being attended to.

A month or so ago I was talking to Shauna (our favorite gal, who can get Evan to go to sleep in the blink of an eye while the others have to put forth some effort) about how she liked it. She said she's been there 5 years and loves it. She also mentioned they might have some opening around the beginning of the year and it planted a little seed.

So when Kathy, the gal in charge, asked if I was interested I decided to talk to Steven. We don't need the money or anything, but I thought it would be nice to have some extra to go out to eat a little more often, take a nicer vacation, put more into savings, build up food storage, save for bigger ticket items we would like....you get my drift.

To start out I will be working 2 days a week, 4 hours a day. (BTW during the slower times with less children coming in and out). But I can pick up extra hours if someone wants time off or calls in sick.

It's kinda like Nursery....I don't have to change diapers and if the child is being a total beast we can page their parents to come get them. I don't think it can get too much awesomer than that. This is excellent! I'm going to be paid $7.25 an hour to basically do what I do at home, only with a couple extra kids...which honestly I do a few times a month already. And since I don't get paid anything to sit on my couch at home I figure this is pretty awesome. The kids will come with me to work and get to watch movies we don't own and play with toys I don't have to store.

I probably won't start until February because I have to be CPR certified (which I'm doing tomorrow), my background check is still processing, and the schedule is already set for the month, but that's alright...I need to get a few ducks in a row and then it will all work out swimmingly. :)

2 comments:

Bird is the Word said...

haha! Good for you! I am a little worried about the background check... if they call me I might have to tell them about what you did to me when I was a child... haha! Does this mean you might make it to the Reunion or Wedding??

Kristen said...

Wow, what a deal!! Take the kids in and they are entertained by different toys, you don't have to change diapers, and you get PAID for it?? Sign me up!

That is awesome you can find something to do that you can take your kids to as well. Blessings, blessings! Good luck with it, let us know how it goes.