Wednesday, April 27, 2011

We got in!!!

I just got off the phone with the elementary school we have been trying to get Logan admitted to and we are in! Currently we are set for PM kindergarten, but they have me on the waiting list in case an AM spot opens. (Which I think would be best for me personally...)

Since we realized Logan would be starting Kindergarten shortly (about a year and a half ago), Steven and I have been trying to decide what to do. You see, Logan isn't your typical kindergartner. He reads at about a 1st grade reading level. He already knows lots of addition and subtraction facts (in fact, dad has started in on multiplication because Logan just soaks it up.) He would be so bored in a "typical" class.

Plus the elementary schools in our area suck. Don't get me wrong...Kim had great teachers, but the administration just sucked. The principal (from what I'm told) is just "serving her time" until she can get a cushy job. When we had to contact them about a boy in Kim's class that should have been allowed in the classroom, we didn't get much help. And when I inquired about testing for admittance to the challenge program at the middle school I was given totally wrong information and I'm still peeved about that. So as you can see, I just couldn't go through that all over again.

We thought about homeschooling. Which would have been ideal because we could go at his pace and cover things that really interested him in depth. But I just feel there is such an important social aspect to school that I couldn't imagine doing without. He would miss out on so much. I think of middle school and high school sports. I think of prom and school clubs. Not to mention, working in a group environment you learn problem solving skills that could be transferred to the workplace.

But my main fear...Logan is such an easy going kid and not hard to get along with, but he is happy in his own little world and doesn't go searching for friends...I feared that if he was homeschooled, he would socially awkward. That weird kid that doesn't understand what is going on in the world. Not quite understanding how to get along with other people on different levels. Not knowing about the new "in" thing...even if he doesn't get to buy one, at least he would know about it.

So after much discussion and some prayer, we looked into our options and discovered this magnet school. With a math and science based approach. Perfect for our little engineer. We submitted our application and crossed our fingers (while formulating a back-up plan.) So imagine my dismay when we got a letter saying we didn't make it in from the lottery and we on the waiting list. I mourned a little and looked harder at my back-up plan.

So imagine my excitement when I got the call saying we were in. I'm so juiced! I can now plan. I know we will start school August 22nd. Now I just need to find out if we are AM or PM for sure and talk to my boss about arranging my work schedule. Worse case scenario, we aren't able to work out a schedule at work and I just fill in for people...or work Saturdays...or just quit.

But at least we got in!!! All the rest will fall into place according to the plan that is meant for my family...guess we'll see what that happens to be in a few months at the latest.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Yay! I know this is just what you have been hoping for.

Unknown said...

Glad to hear he got in! Hopefully everything else falls into place for you.