Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Meridian Idaho Temple

For those you who listened to conference Saturday morning you heard the awesome announcement about the temple that is going to be built in Meridian Idaho. I am so excited! You don't even know. This is like an answer to my unofficial prayers...let me tell you the story.

The end of December, I was driving with my family over to Idaho Falls for my cousin's wedding. My dad wanted to stop by the Twin Falls temple since he hasn't been there yet. As we were driving by and I looked at that magnificent building I was a little sad we didn't make it to the open house...keep in mind here that I was 9 months pregnant, it was the middle of August and it was a 2 hour drive EACH way...so you can probably understand why we didn't go, but I was still a little sad.

You see, I understand the importance of the temple in our lives here and our future in the worlds to come. I appreciate and honor the covenants that I made in the temple many years ago. I would like for my children to have a greater understanding and appreciation for the temple then I did when I was younger. (Not that my parents didn't do their best job trying to teach me, but when you live an hour and a half drive from the temple, you don't take your kids to visit as often as you might like.) I think this bond with the temple is most important in these latter days, especially in this world where the family and the church don't seem as important...where black and white are taking on all shades of gray.

I want my children to love the temple, to want to enter the temple, to live worthy to step foot inside when the time comes.

I yearn to take my children inside the House of the Lord so they can see the beauty and sacredness of the temple. I want them to feel the spirit as we walk into the celestial room or the sealing room. And I want them to want to feel that feeling again and again as they return.

So, I thought to myself, it would be nice if they would build a temple close enough that we could take the children to the open house. Then I thought to myself, I live 10 miles from a temple...they aren't going to build one anywhere near where I live. But I silently wished that I could take my children to see the inside of a temple.

So imagine my surprise and utter delight while listening to conference when the announcement of a temple in Meridian was made. I about jumped out of my chair! Steven guesses they might construct it around the Ten Mile Overpass which is a mere mile-ish south of my house. Imagine walking to the temple! Or they could build it out in north Meridian, which still isn't very far...maybe a ten minute drive at most. You don't even know how excited I am...okay...maybe from reading this post you might get an idea of how excited I am.

I can't wait for them to announce where it will be. I also can't wait to see what it will look like....

This is my current temple, the Boise Idaho temple:


Now don't get me wrong, but I'm not a huge fan of the look of this temple. It is beautful as a House of the Lord, but it just doesn't touch my heart like some of the other temples...


The Oakland temple...where Steven and I were sealed almost 6 years ago. Look at those palm trees and the absolutely awesome fountain and "stream-thing". Beautiful....


Or the Sacramento temple. Where Kimberley was sealed to our family October 13, 2006 and our lives became whole and complete. It is my current favorite temple....


But the Logan temple (which yes, is where we got the name for our 1st son) is what I secretly hope the Meridian temple will look like. Guess we will just have to wait a little longer and see....

PS...These gorgeous antiqued temples pics are from Lil Luna. Just another of the million craft projects that one day I will get to.

1 comment:

Bird is the Word said...

I was like WHAT? When I heard too! It is SO nice having a temple close!! I love the Fresno temple, and conference reminded me that I need to hit it up more often! :) CONGRATS that is SO exciting!! I am hoping for a walking distance away! :)