Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Halloween

(I actually typed this up a few days ago, but just didn't get the pics off my camera until today...this past week was super jam packed with stuff.)

Since Halloween was on Sunday this year, I hardly even thought about it. Steven and I talked about it and didn't feel right taking the kids out to trick-or-treat on Sunday, so we decided to stay home and spend time together as a family.

Saturday night our ward had a chili cook-off/carnival. There were carnival games for the kids and lots of talking for the adults. As prizes for the games, the kids got candy. There was a booth to eat a donut tied to a string and suspended above your head. Steven got a great video of Kim and Logan doing it. Hilarious. Owen just gave the camera the "stank-eye" and held his.

Because we were taking the kids out, I didn't bother buying costumes. So Kim wore a pair of my old scrubs, carried the Fisher Price Doctor's Kit and was a nurse/doctor. Logan wore the Thomas the Tank Engine costume I'd bought a few years ago on after-holiday clearance. Owen was wearing a pair of overalls, so I scrounged up a construction hat, belt, boots and tools (which we was excited to wear at home but refused to put on at the church...but as you can see, he loved playing with his flashlight). Evan wore the traditional Winnie-the-Pooh dressed as a Honey-bee costume that both of his brothers wore.On Halloween, we went to church. Came home, ate lunch and had naps. (Okay, the boys and I napped while Steven and Kim cooked.) After we all woke up, it was time to decorate pumpkins. The boys shared a pumpkin. Here they are hard at work. The girls shared a pumpkin. Here is Kim posing with her creation....all I did was give suggestions and cut the top off. Evan had his tiny 1st Halloween pumpkin. He colored on it with a pen and sucked on the stem.
Here is Logan posing with the boy's finished product. We then ate super yummy pumpkin waffles with apple cider sauce. Such a wonderful tradition in our house.

We decided that since the kids didn't get to go out trick-or-treating (but Owen and Logan are at the age that it's super fun), that we would have them trick-or-treat inside. We had bought a bit of candy and dressed the boys up. Logan as Thomas again and Owen as Elmo (Logan's costume from last year). Steven was stationed in our bedroom, Kim in hers and I was in Evans. (This is my view from Evan's room. Ignore the mess in the hall and don't judge me...we all have that area that collects stuff....okay, maybe a few areas...this is one of mine.)The boys knocked on our door, said "Trick-or-treat" and were given candy. They then moved onto the next door. By the end, we were all laughing and having a great time....perhaps we will do this again.

We then got the kids ready for bed a little early and snuggled onto our bed to watch Alvin and the Chipmunks and Garfield Halloween movies. The kids all thoroughly enjoyed it. Then we packed the kids off to bed and Steven and I watched "Date Night". It was pretty funny. So glad that our dates don't turn out like that...well, seeing Mark Wahlberg's naked chest would be entertaining a time or two, but I don't want to have to pole dance in a western style outfit....

Happy Halloween from our family to yours! Check out this little monster....

2 comments:

Bird is the Word said...

i beg to differ... I would LOVE to pole dance in a western style outfit as long as it was with my husband... LOL! It was a cute movie! Glad you had fun! We had a GREAT time being sick! :)I just wanted to let you know the "word verification" I have to type in to post this comment is BOOPTIC... what? haha!

Lindsey and Jared said...

Soooooooo cute!