Thursday, March 4, 2010

Ding, dong Mickey is gone

Yesterday I was on the phone with my sister. I thought I saw something streak across my kitchen. I freaked out a little, but then thought I am pregnant and all the way on the other side of the house, I could have imagined it. After getting off the phone, I being the idiot that I am, decide to investigate. I open our pantry door and look around. No evidence of anything afoul. I head out to the garage to grab a flashlight so I can check under the fridge and stove. I look around and there are none to be found (I should probably locate at least one today in case of an emergency,but that can happen later, I'm blogging now). I head back in, take one last look in the pantry give up thinking it was all in my mind and start to walk out of the kitchen. At that moment I see a furry, ugly creature streak across the floor behind me and climb into the cabinet under the sink.
At which point I scream and run into the living room and jump onto a chair. I got some interesting looks from both of my sons who have no idea what is happening. (If they did they would probably want to catch the mouse and become friends.) I frantically call my husband, half expecting him to come racing to my rescue. (I don't know why, because this was at 10 am and he works on the other side of town, a 20 minute drive away.) He calmly states he will get some stuff at Home Depot during his lunch and handle it when he gets home. At which point, I state I will not be entering the kitchen...the boys and I will go out to lunch and HE better figure out what HE will be doing about dinner. I quickly decide that I will go over to Nikki's house for the day.

I run upstairs to get dressed and start frantically telling Logan to get dressed and get my stuff into the diaper bag. Brian, my bro-in-law, comes over to drop off some stuff and I tell him my horrific tale. He basically laughs at my womanly views and offers to catch the creature. I told him I was going to hang out at his house. He decides to leave the dirty work to my husband, sees the kids and I out to the car and heads off to work.

I spend the day with my sister, her 2 kids and their new dog. It was fun. The kids loved playing together, I got to relax and get nothing done and my sister got some company. It worked out well for all involved.

But way too soon, I have to head home to attend to my oldest child who will come home from school. When I arrive home, we go across the street to the park so the little ones can play, I can avoid the mouse some more and wait for my hubby to come home.

He arrives shortly (but perhaps not as quickly as I would have lived given the creature running loose in my house) and sets up all sorts of traps and poisons. I come into the house, unpack the diaper bag, then head straight upstairs into my bed. I came down long enough to eat (only because my hubby refused to bring my dinner up to me), read scriptures and pray. I figured that if I'm doing the "good Mormon things" that I would be protected from the vile creature.

This morning I texted my husband for a status update and was pleased to find out the mouse was caught and is disposed of. Hopefully he looks a little something like this in the trap, located at the bottom of my garbage can....
Now don't get me wrong....I love God's creatures, but once they step foot into my house it is war. When they are outside in the area they were intended to be, I am fine with all the bugs and mice and what-have-you....but when you come into my home....be prepared to die!

I am now resting on the couch. Slightly comforted that the beast I saw yesterday is gone. We have more traps set. Hopefully they won't catch anything else and I won't see anymore visitors. But this is the life when your house is situated directly behind an irrigation canal during a cold winter.

1 comment:

Bird is the Word said...

Thanks for the pictures... I really needed that! UHG! Once at Mom and Dad's in the garage a mouse ran over my foot! I took a shower and scrubbed at my foot! SICK! ~ UGH!